The Department of Foreign Languages is an inter-faculty unit of CUT. It was set up in 1953 as the continuation of the previous Foreign Languages Division, established in 1951. In May 1970 it was renamed Practical Teaching Centre for Foreign Languages but in March 1983 it returned to its original name. At present, the Department offers a variety of teaching and learning support. It is responsible for teaching and testing linguistic competence of students and doctoral graduates as laid down by the University statutory requirements. In addition, DFL lecturers assess student-candidates for scholarships or internships abroad.